M&G acquires responsAbility ($3.7BN AUM)

M&G acquires responsAbility ($3.7BN AUM)

Feb 1, 2022 2 min read
  • Impact investor responsAbility Investments AG (responsAbility) is to be acquired by M&G plc (M&G), the international savings and investments business
  • Headquartered in Zurich, responsAbility has invested more than $11BN across emerging markets since it was founded in 2003
  • responsAbility currently has approximately $3.7BN AUM

Impact investor responsAbility Investments AG (responsAbility) is to be acquired by M&G plc (M&G), the international savings and investments business. A pioneer in the impact investing space, responsAbility has more recently focused on companies with business models tied to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. responsAbility currently has approximately $3.7 billion of assets under management.

M&G has agreed to acquire approximately 90 per cent of the issued share capital of responsAbility, and expects to acquire the remaining 10 per cent. The acquisition is subject to regulatory approval and, M&G says, is aligned with its strategy to bolster sustainable investment capabilities and become a leader in impact investing. The deal also expands M&G’s international presence, particularly in developing/emerging markets, and enhances its private asset origination capabilities.

John Foley, Chief Executive of M&G:

“This acquisition strengthens M&G’s position in the rapidly growing market for sustainable investments, especially in the exciting area of emerging markets. It also accelerates the growth of our private assets franchise and augments our European institutional distribution.”
Image credit: responsability.com

Headquartered in Zurich, responsAbility has invested more than $11BN across emerging markets since it was founded in 2003. responsAbility will retain its brand, separate reputation and track record as an impact investor. It will also continue under the day-to-day management of its existing team, led by Rochus Mommartz as CEO. responsAbility’s 200 employees will be retained on completion, headquartered in Zurich with eight satellite offices, keeping its global presence, clients and portcos, including 70 emerging markets.

Jack Daniels, Chief Investment Officer of M&G:

“responsAbility brings leading capabilities in impact investment to M&G, which will help us accelerate our ambition to place sustainability at the heart of our investment process, and further expands M&G’s international operations, particularly with respect to asset sourcing and origination. There is strong and growing demand for impact and sustainable investment products from our clients. The combination of responsAbility's specialist capabilities in this area and our scale, investment breadth and global distribution reach represents a very powerful proposition.”

Rochus Mommartz, Chief Executive Officer of responsAbility:

“M&G’s financial strength, distribution network and its strong commitment to sustainability will accelerate our endeavours to meet the massive unmet demand in developing countries and the needs for climate finance. Together we can achieve an even more meaningful contribution to a sustainable world.”

Source

Join the conversation

Great! You’ve successfully signed up.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
You've successfully subscribed to Conviction News.
Your link has expired.
Success! Check your email for magic link to sign-in.
Success! Your billing info has been updated.
Your billing was not updated.